In 1935, Windsor, Sandwich, East Windsor and Walkerville united to form the City of Windsor. This amalgamation was intended to address the crushing debt and social demands brought by the Great Depression. In the 1960s, the City of Windsor looked to surrounding communities to expand its land and tax base. The city attempted to annex the towns of Tecumseh, Riverside, Ojibway, all or part of St. Clair Beach and parts of the townships of Sandwich East, Sandwich West, and Sandwich South. It was a topic of heated debate. In the end, it was decided that Riverside, Ojibway and parts of Sandwich townships would become part of Windsor.
Windsor continues to grow. Another annexation of land, from the Town of Tecumseh, occurred in 2003 to create the current border of the City of Windsor.